Celebrating Between Bookends and Beyond


 
 

 

            A quote taped to my writing space tutors me to: "Figure out how you are going to make writing a permanent part of your life."  This, of course, means for writers to write consistently.  But being part of a writing community (or several) adds another layer to writing life.  And makes me squeal with glee. 

            The actuality of local writers getting published, and hob-knobbing with and befriending them, is surreal.  I wished for the above collection of works by people I know.  Now that it's materialized, I'm elated entering publication with them.

            Goose pimples pop everytime a writer friend or acquaintance mentions their work is being published or considered for publication.  I cheer, and can't wait to add their new work to my growing collection.  I'm liable to do a jig and have been known to air pump after hearing a fellow writer got the attention of an agent.

            Then, the goose bumps crowded so close together that I nearly went into shock.  The Burlington County Times sent a photographer to my home and did a photo shoot of me and other writers (Marie Gilbert, Joanne Costantino, Amy Hollinger and Jennifer M. Eaton) for the March 1, 2014 AAUW's Medford Branch champagne brunch, where we spoke about writing to benefit their scholarship program.      

           Writing became a part of my life on a new level now, with my home as background in the newspaper pictures.  In one shot a ceramic knick-knack my daughter made accented our old coffee table along with the heart-shaped candy dish my sister-in-law had made for my wedding shower, and a party favor from my youngest daughter's wedding shower.

            Sometimes the only thing I have in common with local writers I've met, besides honoring the written word, is that our efforts often receive scant reward.  John Farquhar had forty-five of us laughing at the South Jersey Writers' Group's February meeting when he explained how excited he was to take on screenwriting again and make less money than he does now as a novelist and short story writer.  Why is it so much fun celebrating the underdog?

            It's thrilling entertaining writers in my no frills home.  Boy, do I feel highbrow.  The Inklings come to mind.  C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien eat your hearts out because woman writers are also welcome in literary circles now. 

            E-books be damned for us luddites, who submit online in the cloak of night.  I can't display between my bookends the anthology, "Strange New World" that includes Glenn Walker's short story which I remember coming through my critique session. 

            Looking forward to reading L.D. Davis' steamy romance "Accidentally On Purpose" that I just ordered.  I'm also hoping Krista Magrowski will sign her short story in my copy of "We Walk Invisible" when it arrives.  Sadly, the February issue of Cricket Magazine, with Victoria Marie Lee's short story I critiqued before publication, still eludes me.  

            Sorry to Juliette Haynes ("Tastes Too Good to be Healthy Cookbook") and Janice Wilson (Chicken Soup for the Soul: Shaping the New You").  Each of your books are on loan to family.  And Marie Gilbert, get your trilogy out soon because I can't display in front of my living room lamp all the online interviews, articles, stories, blogposts and reviews you've done.

           The tingling energy of kindred spirits is intoxicatingly fun.  It's something you can't buy, like the written word, but can still bring into your home!     

           If I've forgotten anyone, please blast me in a comment below. 

 

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Dawn, you are a ray of sunshine that gives me strength to reach that goal line. Love you

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top